The Sleepout for Soul is a fundraising event supporting Soul Cafe and the meals and services our charitable organisation provides to the vulnerable and disadvantaged in our community.
Soul Cafe supporters are encouraged to register, raise $1000 for Soul Cafe and then sleep out overnight in the Civic West Car Park, 291 King Street, Newcastle (access from Gibson Street) on Friday, 14 June 2019.
What are the event details?
Commences Friday, 14 June 2019 from 6:30pm
Ends Saturday, 15 June 2019 at 8am with Sleepout for Soul breakfast at Soul Cafe - Level 2 Corner Hunter & Watt Streets, Newcastle
Civic West Car Park
Gibson Street, Newcastle (fronts King St, access via Gibson St)
Who can participate?
Registered individuals, groups/teams and families can participate. When you register, please indicate whether you are registering individually, as a group/team or as a family. Please also ensure the required information is provided for each individual participant.
Children under the age of 18 years are required to nominate a parent or guardian to accompany them throughout the sleepout event. Soul Cafe is a child safe organisation and values the safety and security of sleepout participants who are under the age of 18 years of age. This is also a legal requirement, according to the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act, 1998 and several other relevant Acts.
How do I collect donations?
Donations can be collected in two ways...
- When you register through this site, you also create an online donation page.
- All online donations are received through your fundraising page. You can share your page by email or via your social media platforms requesting friends and followers to make direct online donations to your campaign.
- Tax Deductible Receipts are issued electronically to each donor at the time of making the donation transaction.
- You can collect cash and cheques and return them to the Soul Cafe office in your fundraising Participant Kit. Contact us to receive a Participant Kit to enable you to collect cash donations
- For each donation received, please fill out the donation collection form provided in your kit. Please ensure you keep a legible record of donor names, donor contact information and amounts donated.
- This kit must be returned to Soul Cafe upon conclusion of your fundraising.
- Ideally, your participant kit and all cash donations should be returned to the Soul Registration point located on Level 8 at the event on Friday, 14 June between the hours of 6pm and 10pm
- Tax Deductible Receipts will be issued and posted/emailed to donors after the event.
Read more about fundraising: Fundraising Tips
What resources are available?
Swags or Homeless Backpack Beds are available for purchase by donating $110.00 to Soul Cafe. These Swags have been designed specifically in mind for the homeless. Participants who commit to a Swag are required to donate the Swag back to Soul Cafe for distribution to our guests who may be rough sleeping and/or others in need after you have used it at the Sleepout.
- Swags will be available for collection at the registration point on Level 8 from 6:30pm on Friday, 14 June
- Donated swags should be returned to the registration point prior to leaving the venue
Swags need to be purchased online NO LATER THAN 31st May 2019.
Here’s the link to purchase your Swag: Purchase your Swag today!
A4 Posters and A6 Postcards can be downloaded for printing here.
Would you like to purchase a Soul Cafe Beanie to keep your head warm at the Sleepout? Here's the link to purchase a Beanie.
Participant Kits to collect cash donations can be made available by contacting Jen by phone on 02 4926 1758 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is provided throughout the event?
A barbecue dinner is provided at the event, together with entertainment and activities. We also encourage Sleepout participants to share their skills, whether you play an instrument, can perform a talent or showcase some skill, it would be great to have you contribute to the fun of the evening.
All participants are invited to the Sleepout for Soul Breakfast and a tour of the Soul Cafe facility upon the conclusion of the event. A delicious breakfast will be served at Soul Cafe (Level 2, Corner of Hunter and Watt Streets, Newcastle – above Westpac Bank) from 8am on Saturday, 16th June.
What safety measures are put in place for the event?
Access to the venue will be restricted to registered sleepout participants, Soul Cafe volunteers, staff and authorised personnel only. Security will be provided throughout the duration of the event.
Local police are also involved in the event and will drop in to see how the event is travelling.
A team of Soul Cafe volunteers and staff will be also be in attendance, ensuring the safety and well-being of all participants throughout the course of the sleepout. The direction of this team and event signage should be followed to ensure the safety of all participants.
In consideration that the event venue is located in a high-rise car park and with the safety of all participants a priority, we would ask that the following items be left at home:
- Skateboards, rollerblades or roller skates
- Balls, or any toy or item that bounces
- Pets - No pets will be permitted. The only exception would be if you rely on a Certified Service Dog. Our team would need to sight relevant documentation supporting this need prior to approval.
What happens in the case of an emergency?
Staff trained in first aid will be present throughout the event and will contact local authorities should emergency support be required, this includes calling an ambulance should the need arise.
What to bring
Please bring the following items with you to the event on Friday:
- wear warm clothing - including a warm/weatherproof jacket, thermals, gloves, scarves and socks
- bring a warm bed (eg: a swag, camping bed, warm sleeping bag, pillow, stretcher, blankets)
- snacks if you'd like to munch away throughout the night
- entertainment - this could be a pack of cards, a board game or a musical instrument
- a camping chair and table to sit around the fires
- a torch or camp light
- if you have any cash that people have donated to your fundraising total please bring it along and hand it to a Soul Cafe team member who will be located at the Soul Registration point located on Level 8
What we will provide on the night
ID wristband upon arrival to event registration (Level 8) to be worn by participants for duration of sleepout:
- refreshments, including: delicious bbq sausage sandwiches, coffee, tea, milo, water and biscuits
- toilet amenities
- fire pits set up to help provide some warmth
- entertainment, including music and movies to keep the kids engaged in the ‘Family Zone’
Location & parking information
Entry to Civic West Car Park, 291 King Street, Newcastle is accessed from Gibson Street.
Secure parking will be available to sleepout participants on the lower levels of the Civic West Car Park at a cost of $3.00 per vehicle between 5:00pm Friday, 14 June and 8:00am Saturday, 15 June. Entry and exit are controlled via number plate recognition. Payment for parking is paid at the pay station prior to exiting the car park. CCTV security monitoring is in place to ensure vehicle safety whilst parked on premises.
Note: If you enter or exit the car park outside the nominated window of time, any additional parking fee incurred is the responsibility of the event participant/vehicle owner.
There is some street car parking available in the nearby residential areas, however, participants who choose street parking will need to be responsible for checking the Newcastle City Council parking signage for restrictions and limitations. Soul Cafe is unable to take responsibility for any fees or charges incurred by participants relating to parking at the event.
Do you have any questions?
If you have any questions regarding the Sleepout for Soul then please contact the Soul Cafe office on (02) 4926 1758, or email email@example.com